Meet The Team
Victor Agaba is Legal specialist advisor on a wide range of legal issues relating to the functions, structures and activities of various banks such as East African Development Bank (EADB), including international conventions; conducting legal due diligence on proposed projects and providing comprehensive legal opinions; negotiating financing agreements; investments and derivative transactions; monitoring and studying of new or revised legislation regarding the East African Community. He has:
- Has provided accountability analytical services to DFID Uganda
- Has reviewed and mapped reform oriented interventions in eastern and southern Africa aimed to promote rule of law, security and access to justice.
- Mapped trends analysis of key issues in the Justice Centres Uganda case work.
- Drafted the Mortgage Regulations to the Mortgage Act 2009 as a member of the Mortgage regulations drafting committee.
- Documented best anti corruption practices in health, education and water sectors
- Evaluated the Legal Aid Basket Fund and the Paralegal Advisory Services programme.
- Followed and documented the CHOGM Hearings in the Parliament Public Accounts Committee
- Led the team that monitored DFID Support to DEI between March and June 2010.
- Undertaken background research to support the development of the NAADS, Health and Environment Core Scripts.
- Drafted the Mortgage Act and Securitization regulations under IFC’s Uganda Mortgage Market Initiative.
- Successfully represented Uganda Banker’s Association (UBA) in lobbying Parliament to review and amend the Stamps Act 2009 regarding double taxation in land transactions.
- Well developed analysis skills and in-depth knowledge of corporate governance; banking; mortgaging and land administration.
Tom is a highly experienced Advocate with 18 years of post-enrollment experience practice before courts of Judicature. He has been involved in multi-transactional projects in private legal practice and corporate practice. He worked up to the level of Senior Manager, Commercial, Legal & Litigation in MTN Uganda Limited before taking over as Head of Legal at East African Breweries Uganda Limited (UBL).
Tom has vast experience in corporate governance, corporate set up for start-up companies and structuring them in a manner which achieves legal, administrative and labour efficiencies.
Currently, Tom is the Head of Corporate & Commercial Practice at the Law Development Centre where he has been a lecturer since 2013.